The American Society For Science Fiction Audio
The Mark Time Award is given each year to honor the Best Science Fiction Audio Production on the Planet. And the Ogle Award for Best Fantasy Audio Production of the Year.
Charles Ogle played the first Frankenstein's creation in Edison's silent 1910 film of the famous science fiction horror novel. Fantasy includes magical "high" fantasy, sword and sorcery, horror, modern urban fantasy, and other things that don't fall under the criteria of Science Fiction. But, we'll be the judges of that.
Gold and Silver Mark Time Awards, and Gold and Silver Ogle Awards, will be awarded at CONvergence,, July 3-6 of 2014.
How To Enter
- Print and fill out the Entry
- Send one audio CD or MP3 CD (at least 256 kbps and 16 bit depth) or tell us where we can download it, along with
the Entry Form and a check for the $25.00 USD Entry Fee (checks payable to "Jerry Stearns") to:
- Mark Time Awards
3421 44th Ave. S.,
Minneapolis, MN 55406 USA
- Mark Time Awards
- DEADLINE for Entry: March 1, 2014. (Postmark)
MP3 files can be sent on a CD, or tell us where to download it. The audio resolution should be AT LEAST 256 kbps and 44.1 MHz. They must include all ID3 tags to tell us who made it and when, and include your email and website address in the Comments tag.
- Awards will be presented before an enthusiastic audience at CONvergence, July 3, 2014.
- Winners receive a wood plaque with the image of Mark Time or Charles Ogle, the producer's name, and the title of the production and year engraved on it.
Criteria for Judging:
- The degree to which the Production fits the subjective description "science fiction," as distinguished from "horror" or "fantasy." Originality of story and script make a difference.
- Use of Medium - sound design, location recording, "audio art."
- Writing - storyline, characterizations, dialogue, originality.
- Performances. (Full cast, not a "reading".)
- Technical production.
• We really are looking for Audio Theatre, not audiobooks with some actors in them. Remakes of Old Time Radio programs, and adaptations that have been done before, will be judged against the original versions as well as current criteria above.
Judges for the 2014 Awards are:
- Philip Proctor, Firesign Theatre
- Fred Greenhalgh - FinalRune Productions
- Dr. Kris Markman - Communication Studies
- Brian Price - Great Northern Audio Theatre
- Jerry Stearns - Great Northern Audio Theatre
- Dani Cutler - Society of Audio Addicts
The Mark Time Awards are sponsored by GPS, the Geek Partnership Society.