The American Society For Science Fiction Audio
The Mark Time Award is given each year to honor the Best Science Fiction Audio Production on the Planet. And the Ogle Award for Best Fantasy Audio Production of the Year.
Charles Ogle played the first Frankenstein's creation in Edison's silent 1910 film of the famous science fiction horror novel. Fantasy includes magical "high" fantasy, sword and sorcery, horror, modern urban fantasy, and other things that don't fall under the criteria of Science Fiction. But, we'll be the judges of that.
Gold and Silver Mark Time Awards, and Gold and Silver Ogle Awards, were awarded at CONvergence.
The Mark Time and Ogle Awards are under new management. Please check back on this site for new information as it becomes available.
Criteria for Judging:
- The degree to which the Production fits the subjective description "science fiction," as distinguished from "horror" or "fantasy." Originality of story and script make a difference.
- Use of Medium - sound design, location recording, "audio art."
- Writing - storyline, characterizations, dialogue, originality.
- Performances. (Full cast, not a "reading".)
- Technical production.
• We really are looking for Audio Theatre, not audiobooks with some actors in them. Remakes of Old Time Radio programs, and adaptations that have been done before, will be judged against the original versions as well as current criteria above.
Judges for the 2014 Awards were:
- Philip Proctor, Firesign Theatre
- Fred Greenhalgh - FinalRune Productions
- Dr. Kris Markman - Communication Studies
- Brian Price - Great Northern Audio Theatre
- Jerry Stearns - Great Northern Audio Theatre
- Dani Cutler - Society of Audio Addicts
Many thanks to GPS, the Geek Partnership Society for their many years of support and encouragement of the Awards, and for their other activities in celebration of a geeks' life.